To be sure, the attacks meant different things in Paris and Beirut. Paris saw it as a bolt from the blue, the worst attack in the city in decades, while to Beirut the bombing was the fulfillment of a never entirely absent fear that another outbreak of violence may come.
- Undoubtedly, people die in such attacks around the world on a daily basis.
- It has to happen in some Western metropolis to reach the attention of mainstream media.
- In people’s minds the Middle East is where such things happen, most of them have no idea that Beirut was just as peaceful currently as Paris.
- We tend to pass over these kinds of news as stories that could never happen to us, right until it hits as close as Paris, then we are forced to pay attention.
- All this, by no means can imply that Western lives are worth more than those of the Middle East, human lives matter equally all around the world!